Friday, September 24, 2010

Near Miss!

So the other day I went to my primary doctor to get the medical clearance form signed for my upcoming surgery on 10-1. The PA then told me they wouldn't be able to clear me for surgery due to the fact that my tsh level (thyroid effectiveness) was out of whack. I knew it could be problem, but my medication level had just been increased, and I was hoping for a miracle. The PA told me that not only did she not think a lap band was the right move now, but that I needed to be followed by an endocrinologist, and in my area, the wait is usually three months!!!!

I burst into tears, because, really, this band is what I have been pinning all of my hopes and dreams on. I have been on a liquid diet for a week- already lost ten or so pounds, and was planning for my next summer's wardrobe already! Not really... I was/am looking forward to being healthier, slimmer, more attractive, etc. and I am/ have been so discouraged by diets in the past, due to the slowness of them, and the lack of willpower I seem to possess. She proceeded to tell me that with a slow thyroid, my chances of success with a band were limited, and the risks of anesthesia were significant.

I then remembered that she had increased my dosage of synthroid after I had my last blood test, and reminded her of that fact. She agreed to let me get a new blood test, and though she was skeptical- I would have to be in the normal range, .5-5.0 to be cleared- my levels were at 94. Long story short... the bloods were normal! I am still on track for my surgery next Friday! Yay!!! I have my pre-surgical testing on Tuesday- expecting good results, and with that, I will be all set. What a relief!!

I haven't posted in a few days due to the discouragement that I felt, but I thought I would let you all know of my wonderful news, and that soon I will be among your ranks. Looking forward to joining you at BOOBS 2!

oxoxoxoxo
Annie

3 comments:

  1. Hi :) New Follower. I am SO sorry for your scare but am happy to read your surgery is still scheduled. I can't wait to see how it goes. I had mine this past Wednesday and honestly, it was a breeze. I'm ready to go back to work. Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. glad your numbers were fine! good luck on Friday!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad it worked out!! 10-1 is almost here!!

    ReplyDelete